Robotic surgeries are computer assisted techniques with robotic systems aiding surgical procedures. It is a mechanical helping hand to surgeons. Surgical robots are self-powered, computer-controlled devices that can be programmed to aid in the positioning and manipulation of surgical instruments. Surgeons view the patient via a terminal and manipulate the robotic surgical instruments via a control panel.
Organs are viewed though tiny cameras inserted into the body. The surgical robot’s function by remote surgery, minimally invasive surgery and unmanned surgery.
There are 3 types of robotic systems:
- da Vinci
- Generally the surgeons control the robot from a console
- The robot is always under the control of a surgeon and follows specific set of instructions
- Tasks of the surgeon:
- Planning: map the patient’s body to the computer to determine the surgical pathway
- Registration: surgeon to register points in the patient’s body where surgery is to be done
- Navigation: Surgeon activates the robot