The department of clinical hematology at Columbia Asia Referral Hospital, Yeshwanthpur, offers comprehensive, collaborative and contemporary services to infants, children, adolescents, adults and elderly. The consultants in the department are highly trained in some of the best institutes in India and abroad. The department is support- ed by a multi-disciplinary team of consultants from virtually every medial specialty like internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, oncology to name a few. The Hospital has an advanced laboratory with a dedicated team of Hemato-pathologists and also, a state of the art Blood Bank.
Hematology is a specialty responsible for the diagnosis and treatment with problems related to blood (red, white blood cells and platelets) and blood forming tissues (bone marrow), from anemia to blood cancers. Some of the diseases may be genetic in origin and require long term management.
In cases that need Bone marrow transplantation, the hospital offers the service with a participatory and humane approach. This team offers the latest in technology and expertise to provide cutting edge diagnosis and treatment techniques.
Our physicians practice evidence based medicine and follow interna- tionally accepted protocols in treatment and diagnosis. They strive to provide a patient specific care plan, providing the appropriate treatment for each patient based on an accurate diagnosis and an assessment of each individual's needs.
Common blood related disorders
- Anemia (low hemoglobin or red blood cell count) – Hemolytic anemias including Thalassemia, Sickle cell anemia etc., Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemias, Nutritional and Refractory anemias etc
- Bone marrow failure like Aplastic anemia, Myelodysplastic syndrome, PNH etc.
- Bleeding disorders - Hemophilia, Von willebrand disease
- Low platelet counts - Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP)
- Clotting disorders - DVT, Pulmonary Thromboembolism, APLA syndrome etc.
- Myeloproliferative Neoplasms – Polycythemia Vera, Essential thrombocythemia, Myelofibrosis
- Blood cancers – Acute and Chronic Leukemia, Multiple Myeloma, Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and Non Hodgkin’s Lymphomas
- Diagnosis and treatment of blood and blood tissue diseases
- Bone marrow transplant
- Transfusion of blood products and clotting factors
- Growth factor drug infusion
- Targeted drug therapy
- Patient and family education
- Psychological support
- Palliative care