What is Hyperthyroidism?
Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland becomes overactive, and secretion is high. This affects the level of metabolism. It causes weight loss due to excess production of thyroxine hormone. When the body temperature exceeds normal, problems such as insomnia, excitement, nervousness, and irritability begin. Hyperthyroidism also increases the likelihood of diabetes. Food plays a significant role in normalizing hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid gland).
What should be the diet plan for patients with hyperthyroidism?
The Thyroid is associated with weight gain so controlled calorie intake is essential and better to avoid high-calorie foods and simple sugar. A Nutritious Diet is necessary for everyone, but patients with hyperthyroidism must consult a physician once while preparing a diet chart.
- SUNRISE: Warm water one glass + 4 almond (presoaked and de-skinned), light coffee/Tea (skimmed milk) (Sugarless) 1 cup
- BREAKFAST: Two idlis (Millet/Rava) 2 Tbsp gram chutney, one ladle sambhar, or 2 Chapathi with 1 cup vegetables + 1 cup curd, or two slices of multigrain/brown bread with tofu / Vegetables/egg white omelette or Vegetable Upma (Oats/Dalia) Or 1 cup Poha
- MIDMORNING: Buttermilk / Vegetable juice/ 1 cup salad / 1 cup fruit + 1 Walnut / 2 tsp Flax seeds / 2 tsp Chia Seeds
- LUNCH: 2 medium chapati Or ½ cup Brown Rice + 1 chapati, or 1 cup broken wheat Or Millet Rice – in the form of Pulao (two, pieces of chicken/fish in the form of boiled/grilled (once a week and only during lunchtime) NO MUTTON
- EVENING TEA: Tea/ coffee (skimmed milk (Sugarless) 1cup
- SUNSET: 1 cup boiled sprouts/ 2 Boiled egg white/ homemade soups
- DINNER: 1 medium chapati or multigrain dosa + 1 cup dal + 1 cup vegetable + 1 cup salad, or 1 cup broken wheat or millet rice or 1 cup oats porridge.
What to eat in hyperthyroidism?
In hyperthyroidism, foods that are easily digested can be eaten. Eat such food which is absorbed in three hours after eating (increase the level of metabolism). Hyperthyroidism occurs only when the body lacks the necessary and nutritional elements. Sometimes you eat foods that have lost their nutritional capacity so that whole grains may be beneficial for you. Whole grains such as brown rice, wheat, gram etc. are rich in calcium and iron, which makes bones strong. Since thyroid hormone is produced more, it has more effect on bones.
What not to eat in hyperthyroidism?
When the amount of iodine in the body is high, then the thyroid gland becomes overactive, and a condition of hyperthyroidism occurs. Avoid eating seafood such as fish, plants grown around the sea, because they contain a very high amount of iodine.
In hyperthyroidism, the thyroid gland becomes overactive, producing more amount of hormones. Some foods affect the production of thyroid hormones. Avoid eating such foods. Cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts, mustard greens, peaches, soybeans, spinach and turnips inhibit the production of thyroid hormones. So do not eat them at all. Apart from this, drinks like refined sugar, coffee, cold drinks, which contain caffeine, should also be avoided.